• Remain calm, immediately unplug your television,
computer, radio, etc. to avoid damage from a power surge.
• After dark, remain in your room. Have a flashlight handy.
• Do not burn candles (The Fire Marshall prohibits burning candles in the residence halls).
• Emergency lighting will be provided by a generator in common hallways and stairwells only.
• Keep microfridge doors closed to maintain the temperature inside
• Laundry machines should resume cycle when power returns, but check to make sure
• Direct any questions or concerns to Student Housing Staff members who have been trained in emergency procedures and have flashlights.
• Fresno State Police will respond to any emergency that may occur as a result of a blackout.
Each student living on-campus has the option to register anyone as their “confidential missing person contact” to be notified in the event that the student is determined to be missing. Any missing persons under the age of 18 that are not emancipated will have their parent or guardian notified as well. Only authorized campus officials and law enforcement persons in furtherance of a missing person investigation may have access to this information. To register a “confidential missing person contact,” click here:
For purposes of this policy, a resident may be considered a “missing person” if the resident’s absence is suspiciously different to their usual pattern of behavior and/or unusual circumstances may have caused the absence.
To report a missing person, contact Student Housing at 559.278.2677 or the Fresno State Police Department at 559.278.8400 or 911 (from any campus phone).
• Stay calm.
• Avoid bookcases and windows.
• Get under a desk or table.
• Leave the building after the initial quake/shock
• Stay clear of buildings when outside.
• Follow the directions of Residential Life Staff members and Fresno State Police.